Technical troubleshooting and root cause analysis
Regional Director of Decarbonization, Maritime Americas
Explore our advisory services networkGo to network
Revealing the origin of challenges in rotating machinery and structures through DNV systematic approach and solutions.
Proper troubleshooting and damage analysis of structures, noise and vibration or rotating machinery problems is often complicated and time-consuming. It requires the involvement of experts across several disciplines to ensure accurate findings.
With a global network and competence across the entire range of strength and fatigue, mechanical and systems engineering, in addition to noise and vibration mechanics, DNV is your ideal partner for expertise in troubleshooting and systematic root cause analysis (RCA). For your vessel structure, rotating machinery diesel engines, gas turbines, gear boxes, shafts, compressors, pumps, propeller and more, we find the source of the problem. The RCA may start with an open approach where we systematically assess possible contributing factors before we close the conclusion.
Our in-house measurement and analysis capabilities include:
- Fracture mechanics
- Fatigue and dynamics
- Shaft vibrations
- Noise and structural vibration
- Propeller pressure pulses/cavitation observation
- Material technology
- Electrical systems
- Control systems
- Hydrodynamics using CFD analysis of propellers, piping systems or hull
Furthermore, we have our own material laboratory for metallurgic analysis of damaged components, such as crankshafts, cams, valves, gear teeth, bearings and more. Based on our findings, we can propose design, operational changes, or enhanced monitoring – aiming for a long-term solution.
Use DNV in finding the root cause of machinery-, structural-, noise or vibration issues or failures:
- Multidisciplinary capabilities in finding the true cause
- Get safe, well-functioning and reliable machinery and systems
- Eliminate costly consequences caused by inappropriate designs or poor component interaction
- Be more flexible – we work with you, external experts, or your own experts