Commonwealth Edison (ComEd)
ComEd is a subsidiary of Exelon Corporation and provides electric service to approximately 4 million customers across Northern Illinois, or 70 percent of the state’s population. ComEd is an energy delivery company for homes or businesses. They manage more than 90,000 miles of power lines in an 11,400 sqm territory.
DNV has been the primary implementation partner for the ComEd Energy Efficiency Program since it was launched in 2008. Required by Illinois legislation, the customer-funded program provides incentives for commercial and industrial customers to conduct energy efficiency upgrades.
DNV has assisted ComEd with the program from the start. In the early years, we developed methods of predicting application flow and managing waiting lists. As the program matured, we focused on process improvement, the Trade Ally program, and marketing initiatives to generate leads. We designed a program to provide facility and system studies to garner larger projects and a high-level walkthrough audit to move non-participants forward. We began managing the midstream program in 2013, taking it from lackluster performance to one of the most successful midstream programs in the U.S.
DNV currently implements the program’s prescriptive, custom and midstream programs. We also process industrial applications. Our team:
- Reviews program applications and provides technical analysis for incentive calculations
- Processes midstream transaction reports and approves new product submittals
- Manages and supports the Trade Ally network by offering program training, outreach assistance and marketing collateral
- Analyzes ComEd customer participation across market segments and makes recommendations to increase program utilization
- Provides ongoing research on new technologies, industry trends and regulatory standards We recommend new program offerings and identify incentives that may need adjustment
- Contributes to the ComEd strategic marketing plan, develops content, processes marketing expenditures, manages events and researches new programs, measures and bonuses
Since its start the ComEd Energy Efficiency Program has become a robust, innovative, and flexible portfolio of energy efficiency offerings. The program has paid more than USD 225.1 million in incentives and saved more than 3,331 GWh. Each year, we assess more than 6,500 commercial and industrial applications and 24,000 midstream transactions. In the program year 2017 we have paid USD 34 million in incentives.
ComEd program savings and incentives paid as of 30 August 2017