This course focuses on modeling and analyzing floating offshore wind turbines (FOWT) using Sesam. The participants will learn how to set up a general workflow for an integrated analysis of the floating wind turbine, including structure modelling, hydrodynamic analysis, coupled analysis, structural analysis and results processing, local analysis for sensitive area in the model will also be executed.
The foundation is modelled as normal type with beam and shell elements using GeniE. Frequency domain motion analysis is performed using HydroD and Wadam to get the hydrodynamic coefficients of the foundation. Time domain coupled analysis will be calculated in Sima including wind turbine, tower, foundation and mooring system, especially the aerodynamic theory will be applied to the wind turbine calculation.
The wave, motions of the structure and auxiliary loads from mooring lines and wind turbine are transferred to HydroD, Wasim will execute a time domain hydrodynamic analysis to get a detailed hydro pressure distribution on the foundation. A load transfer and structure analysis will be performed for strength evaluation of yielding and buckling check, and a time domain fatigue analysis is also available.
A detailed local model for a sensitive area is built for local structural and fatigue analysis.
The following topics will be covered:
- Model FOWT finite element modelling using GeniE
- Execute a global response analysis using Wadam
- Execute a coupled analysis for FOWT in time domain using Sima
- Execute a load transfer analysis using Wasim
- Perform time domain structural FE analysis using Sestra
- Strength evaluation of yielding and buckling using Xtract and GeniE with PULS
- Time domain fatigue analysis using Stofat
- Use sub modelling technique for analyses of local model using Submod
Naval architects and structural engineers involved in design, analysis, or verification of floating offshore wind turbines.