Our first pipeline code was issued in 1976. It has achieved global recognition, winning prestigious industry awards and currently 65% of all new projects globally are designed to it.
Based on our project experience, research and joint industry development work, DNV issues a number of pipeline codes. These comprise service specifications, standards and recommended practices, and are highly regarded within the international pipeline community.
The pipeline standard, DNVGL-ST-F101 Submarine pipeline systems (previously named DNV-OS-F101), provides acceptance criteria and procedures for pipeline design, fabrication and installation. The standard applies modern limit-state-design principles with ‘safety classes’ linked to consequences of failure.
DNV's pipeline standard is complemented by several recommended practices (RPs), which give detailed advice on how to analyse specific technical aspects according to stated criteria:
- DNVGL-RP-C205 Environmental conditions and environmental loads
- DNVGL-RP-F101 Corroded pipelines
- DNVGL-RP-F102 Pipeline field joint coating and field repair of linepipe coating
- DNVGL-RP-F103 Cathodic protection of submarine pipelines
- DNVGL-RP-F105 Free spanning pipelines
- DNVGL-RP-F106 Factory applied external pipeline coatings for corrosion control
- DNVGL-RP-F107 Risk assessment of pipeline protection
- DNVGL-RP-F108 Assessment of flaws in pipeline and riser girth welds
- DNVGL-RP-F109 On-bottom stability design of submarine pipelines
- DNVGL-RP-F110 Global buckling of submarine pipelines
- DNVGL-RP-F111 Interference between trawl gear and pipelines
- DNVGL-RP-F113 Pipeline subsea repair
- DNVGL-RP-F114 Pipe-soil interaction for submarine pipelines
- DNVGL-RP-F115 Pre-commissioning of submarine pipelines
- DNVGL-RP-F116 Integrity management of submarine pipeline systems
- DNVGL-RP-O501 Managing sand production and erosion
Some of the above RPs were originally developed for offshore pipelines, but are also relevant for onshore pipelines, umbilicals, flexibles and power cables. In addition, DNV has released DNVGL-ST-F119 as a new standard for thermoplastic composite pipes (TCP).