CAD to Finite Element (FE) mesh - Sesam and MSC Apex
How can we help you?Contact us
MSC Apex reduces the time to use CAD data as input to Sesam analyses
Streamline repetitive FE preprocessing tasks to gain efficiency
Ships and offshore floating (OWT and O&G) structures are designed using many computer-aided design (CAD) tools, producing geometries that are not suitable for immediate finite element analysis. Up until now, finite element preprocessing from CAD to mesh has been a tedious, error-prone task. The connected workflow between Sesam and MSC Apex software changes that.
MSC Apex can import most CAD formats and export a finite element model for use in Sesam. When combined, Sesam and MSC Apex unlock the potential to reduce the time spent on design and verification processes by weeks.
The MSC Apex software is both easy to use and highly intuitive, simplifying mesh defeaturing. One of the main advantages of using MSC Apex is its responsive mesh creation, which automatically incorporates changes to geometric vertexes, edges and faces; fillet defeatures, and hole removals. The result is arriving at a nearly analysis-ready model in far less time. Loads (project specific or DNV rule specific) are applied after the model has been imported into Sesam. The time saved from converting a CAD model to FEM and auto generation of loads can be applied towards expanding the design space and optimizing your project.
Key features of MSC Apex software
- Import ship models from 2D or 3D CAD tools such as CATIA, AutoCAD, NX, Intergraph Smart 3D and open file standards like STEP and IGES.
- Powerful mid-surfacing, de-featuring and idealization
- Modeling and meshing tools ideal for offshore floaters and ship structures
- Export FE models supported by Sesam
- Scripting for automation and customization
Benefits of combining MSC Apex with Sesam
- Seamless workflow integration – use CAD models as starting point for structural analysis for the purpose of stress and fatigue analysis
- Import CAD model directly into MSC Apex AS-IS, no defeaturing required
- MSC Apex will automatically de-feature the model, extract the desired surface (top, mid-plane, bottom), and create a geometry that is suitable for a local or global finite element analysis
- MSC Apex will read the beam sections for 2D or 1D elements
- MSC Apex can recognize beam element property sections from 3D CAD model. This makes it easy to convert a 3D solid CAD model to a shell FE model including all stiffeners as beams
- Use MSC Apex to organize your model create your finite element mesh and export the mesh and session files
- Convert the MSC Apex model format into the Sesam format. Use the session file to keep the model organization
- Utilize Sesam tools to create static and hydrodynamic loads and directly run linear structural analysis
- Use hydrodynamic results to run a coupled mooring analysis, include mooring and marine operations, along with the generation of wind turbine loads
- Couple time domain loads from mooring and wind turbines to analysis loads on the structure and structural analyses based on time domain loads and analyse fatigue in the time domain
- As the project advances and changes are made, this workflow can be repeated so going from CAD to fatigue can be easily reproduced
Take advantage of 50 years of Sesam experience from hydrodynamic and structural analysis to do fatigue analysis and stress assessments of computer models originating from CAD.