DNV’s Energy Transition Outlook forecasts that, in the longer term, the production of hydrogen for energy use applications will be a balance between blue hydrogen, produced from natural gas or coal with carbon capture and storage (CCS), and green hydrogen, produced via electrolysis from renewables.
Blue hydrogen – Scaling carbon capture and storage
DNV is experienced in gas reforming, gas conditioning, and gasification. We provide world-class CCS expertise for technical assurance, testing, advisory and risk management.
Our Recommended Practices cover CO2 capture, transport, storage and safety. We qualify and verify CCS technology and projects in accordance with our recommended practices and international standards.Services to energy industries
Our services span the entire global value chain of CO2: capture, conditioning, compression, transport, and storage. We build trust for industries, investors and governing bodies, from strategic planning through technology demonstration to operational excellence.
- CCS technology qualification
- CCS techno-economical due diligence and benchmarking
- CCS feasibility and risk assessments
- CO2 storage certification
- CCS knowledge management and training.
Green hydrogen - Complementing renewables
DNV has expertise across all aspects of production, transport, storage, and consumption of green hydrogen from renewable sources.Services to energy industries
- Our experts have deep understanding of power markets and grids. We provide:
- Feasibility studies
- Due diligence of electrolyzer systems, fuel cell systems, and CCS projects
- System integration studies
- Evaluation of synthetic fuel value chains, including Power-to-Gas and Power-to-Liquids
- Lifecycle assessment to quantify environmental benefits
- Grid location and siting of electrolyzer (Load) and/or fuel cells (Generation)
- Techno-economic analysis of hydrogen value chain options, including gas blending
- Project risk management – cost, schedule and execution.