Verification of risers and umbilicals
Ensuring safety and reliability and meeting shelf regulatory requirements
Risers are a critical component of any floating platform and must meet stringent requirements for design, fabrication, and installation.
DNV provides verification of dynamic riser systems based on international standards including our own standard DNV-ST-F201 – Riser systems, government regulations – such as the USA's Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) – customer specifications and DNV’s service specifications, including DNV-SE-0476. Our service can cover design, fabrication and installation or selected phases as required by the customer. Verification of marine riser management/condition based maintenance systems are performed according to the requirements in DNV-RU-OU-0300 and relevant international standards.
'Dynamic riser systems' may include:
- Metallic risers (steel, titanium)
- Composite risers
- Flexible pipes
- Umbilicals (individual or piggy-back)
- Loading hoses.
Verification requirements vary from region to region. For example, in the US Gulf of Mexico, the Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement (BSEE) requires a certified verification agent (CVA) to verify the design, fabrication and installation of the riser system. In jurisdictions where there are no specific regulations, we can act as an independent verification agent (IVA) to verify the equipment against international standards and company requirements and international standards.
DNV has been involved in CVA and IVA roles for riser system concepts around the world. Our professionals have in-depth knowledge of regulatory regimes and industry standards, and a risk-based mindset which focuses on critical elements: systematically evaluating potential failure modes to deliver maximum value to the customer.
What we offer:
- Verification hubs and specialists at key locations around the globe
- Lessons learnt and best practice established from numerous similar projects
- Global experience and a database of similar projects
- Acceptance by authorities and stakeholders worldwide as the norm for independent verification
- Expertise supported by research and development projects, and involvement in industry committees and joint industry projects (JIP)s
- Compliance with shelf regulatory requirements
- Independent analysis including strength analysis and fatigue analysis
- Advanced FE analysis for critical local connections and fracture mechanics assessments
- Verification of material properties including fatigue and fracture testing.