EU Marine Equipment Directive (MED)
Gain the “wheelmark” certification for your products used on board ships.
Marine equipment can only be installed on board ships flying the flag of an EU country, Norway, Iceland and other flag states if it is marked with the MED mark of conformity, also known as the “wheelmark”.
DNV’s experts provide fast and efficient conformity assessment in accordance with the Marine Equipment Directive 2014/90/EU.
We are one of the few notified bodies to cover the full scope of MED certification for:
- Life-saving appliances (SOLAS III)
- Marine pollution prevention equipment (MARPOL)
- Fire protection equipment (SOLAS II-2)
- Navigation equipment (SOLAS V)
- Radio-communication equipment (SOLAS IV)
- COLREG 72 – equipment
- SOLAS II-1 – equipment
Your certification process at DNV starts with advice on the assessment procedures (modules) relevant for your product. Then we safely guide you through the certification process. This includes your completed MED Application Form and all the other necessary documents as well as testing by a recognised laboratory or with the presence of a DNV surveyor. Finally, you achieve approval of your product according to the MED. For Module D or E, a quality audit needs to be performed at your production site. Your MED certificate is immediately issued after completion of the process. All MED certifications will be listed in the DNV list of approved suppliers and the MarED-Product Database so that potential customers can easily find you.
MED Certification with DNV ensures excellent service at all stages:
- Fast and efficient approval processes saving you time and money
- Guidance and support from our dedicated MED experts
- Customer trust and confidence due to reputable DNV certification
- Access to the European shipping market through certified proof that you meet all MED requirements