The standard (ST) specifies general principles and requirements for the design, manufacturing, testing, deployment (transportation and installation), commissioning, in-service life as well as retrieval of tidal turbines.
The objectives of this standard are to:
- provide an internationally acceptable level of safety by defining minimum requirements for structures, structural components (including blades), machinery systems, machinery components, safety and control systems, electrical systems and corrosion protection systems (in combination with referenced standards, recommended practices, guidelines, etc.);
- serve as a contractual reference document between suppliers and purchasers related to design, construction, installation and in-service inspection;
- serve as a guideline for designers, suppliers, purchasers, insurance companies and regulators;
- specify procedures and requirements for tidal turbines subject to DNV certification; and
- serve as a basis for verification of tidal turbines for which DNV is contracted to perform the verification.