The way energy is used, and by which technology it is used, influences how an industry can be decarbonized. The Future Energy department of Shell requested an in-depth technology and impact study on the potential for deep decarbonization related to energy end use, and the associated CO2 emissions in the main industry sectors for 2050 time horizon.
- A detailed analysis of energy use within industry sectors
- Inventory and modelling of energy technologies describing the energy use and fuel use (on the level of energy technologies)
- Decarbonization options were evaluated on feasibility for the specific energy use found in industry sectors
- Sector impact and feasibility of decarbonization was evaluated
- Two deep dives are performed to provide additional insights in aspects of deep decarbonization in industry.