DNV provides advice on how to integrate distributed energy resources into the macrogrid and how to maximise the value of microgrid assets.
Distributed energy resources (DERs) such as solar and wind generation reduce carbon emissions. Microgrids let you ensure energy from DERs is available even when the macrogrid is not. DNV’s know-how and experience helps you decide how best to integrate DERs into the macrogrid, and how to design and install microgrids to maximise the value of your DER assets.
Drawing on our expertise in T&D and renewables generation, we provide support services for a wide range of stakeholders. Our analysis benefits equipment providers, developers, energy providers, users installing DERs and microgrids, and utilities integrating DER into the distribution grid. Meanwhile regulators and policy makers can use our analytical tools to gain insight into the short- and long-term implications of DERs and microgrids from a stakeholder perspective.
For example, we can assess the operational impact of microgrids on utilities, regulatory policies and regional transmission organisations (RTOs). We can also manage projects to assess market and financial performance of microgrid technology for developers, equipment providers and installers, financiers, utilities, RTOs and regulatory authorities.
Improving your performance
In addition, DNV’s technical and financial tools assess the impact of multiple implementation and portfolio options including load management, building and system controls, communication systems and generation and storage devices. From this analysis, we can recommend the optimal portfolio of energy assets for your situation, leading to improved financial and operational performance.
To maximise ROI and minimise carbon output, we help you answer questions such as: Which energy asset to deploy? When? And for what purpose?
- Planning and assessment to deploy the optimal portfolio of energy assets
- Field evaluations of facilities to identify energy efficiency and conservation projects
- Field assessment and certification of implemented energy conservation projects
- Review and assessment of DER standards, specifications and implementation
- Review of microgrid design, construction practices and standards
- Project management of DER and microgrid implementations
- Recommendations for market participation of DER-produced energy
- Emergency preparedness plans and assessment of preparedness
- Black start plans
- Examination and recommendations for non-interruptible, critical and non-critical circuits
- Distribution system configuration to optimise the number of customers within a microgrid and minimise those affected by a line outage
- Location and design of switching and automation around planned and potential dynamic microgrids to enable resilient islanding