Governments and industry in several countries are in the process of testing hydrogen infrastructure.
DNV offers deep insight into technologies and policies enabling transport, storage and delivery of hydrogen. Through our technical knowledge and system understanding, we can enable safe and fast deployment of hydrogen and other low emission energy technologies at large scales.
We advise on transport and distribution – by shipping, road rail, and pipelines – for all forms of hydrogen-carriers, and on safe storage. We also support infrastructure related to specific uses, such as use hydrogen for heating in homes and businesses, and for use as a fuel in the maritime industry.
Services to energy and maritime industries
- Logistics assessments for import, transportation, logistics, and storage
- Developing new metering and billing methodologies to accommodate blending of sustainable gasses into the grid
- Development, approval, and supply of customer appliances and equipment suitable for hydrogen use
- Modelling to identify hydrogen transmission system delivery capacity and seasonal storage requirements
- Equipment testing to confirm that existing local grid infrastructure can safely accommodate hydrogen
- Reviewing and updating standards and procedures for operations, leak detection, and measurement, maintenance, and emergency response to accommodate hydrogen
- Support on the development of port-specific hydrogen bunker guidelines
- Feasibility studies and decision support for:
- hydrogen as a marine fuel
- hydrogen infrastructure
- Quantitative risk assessments (QRAs) and HAZID studies for planned hydrogen infrastructure.