Verification of materials
Ensuring materials and components are safe and fit for use
Many of the component or system failures that happen in the oil and gas industry are related to materials selection or material quality issues.
The verification of materials is particularly important for the oil and gas industries, where global supply of materials and components and the large numbers of manufacturers and contractors that can be involved can lead to quality issues. Local practices, standards and codes can be variable or inconsistent.
Owners and operators need to be certain that materials and components are up-to-standard and fit-to-use in service. Third party independent verification (review and inspection) plays an important role in ensuring confidence in materials selection, compliance and the safe operation of assets.
DNV has a global network of hubs and professional centres for the verification of materials, based at key oil and gas locations all around the world. This provides:
- Verification and assurance of material selection and quality
- Verification of manufacturing and construction processes
- Risk-based assessment of facilities in operation
- Development of new standards, and standardization of current practices to minimize risk.
Our materials experts can help you select the optimum material to reduce cost while avoiding failures. If a failure has already occurred, our team can help identify the root cause and suggest the optimal course of action. Our materials consultancy services include desk, site and laboratory studies on metallic and non-metallic materials. Testing expertise is combined with theoretical knowledge of materials, failure modes and mechanisms and object competence, and our laboratories are well integrated with other DNV services.
What you get:
- Extensive knowledge of challenges and conditions in the energy industry
- Combination of materials knowledge and system knowledge
- Fast identification of optimal solutions
- Multi-disciplinary teams
- Fitness for service assessment
- Materials and failure analysis
- Materials consultancy
- Forensic chemistry
- Welding consultancy
- Development of specifications
- Materials selection reports
- Advisory services, trouble-shooting and studies
- Corrosion assessment
- Design and verification of corrosion protection systems
- Composite and plastic materials testing and consultancy
- Fracture mechanics and fatigue assessments
- Materials verification and examination (in lab and in the field)
- Quality surveillance and fabrication follow-up
- Qualification of suppliers (e.g. technical audits)
- Third-party verification of specifications and procedures
- Non-destructive testing, corrosion and coatings consultancy
- Material laboratory facilities located in Norway, UK, Singapore and USA.