Propulsion shaft alignment services
Regional Director of Decarbonization, Maritime Americas
Explore our advisory services networkGo to network
DNV experts perform root cause analysis for ship propulsion shaft alignment and aid owners/yards to obtain safe, compliant shaft alignment.
An inadequate alignment of the propeller shaft often results in the late delivery of newbuilds, and costly off-hire due to damage or failure of the stern tube bearing for ships in operation.
DNV is your active partner for obtaining a precise shaft alignment, ensuring safe and reliable operation. We have experience from several design and troubleshooting projects studying the interaction between the shaft line and bearings, propeller loads and hull deflections.
Our experts assist during the design and installation phases to prevent operational challenges related to shaft alignment.
Moreover, we are familiar with new environmental measures such as lower shaft speeds in combination with heavier propellers, de-rated propulsion, and the switch to environmentally acceptable lubricating oils (EALs). We are aware of how these measures can contribute to causing alignment issues, and how to avoid these problems. Careful consideration is given to the effects of engine – and propulsion size for better payload utilization.
Services for ships in operation experiencing shaft alignment issues:
- Troubleshooting to find the damage’s root cause and the solutions that make the propulsion system operational again
- Measurement verification of a designed alignment
- Advice for an improved alignment of the shaft line
- On-site assistance during the repair and replacement process
Shaft alignment services for newbuildings and conversion projects:
- Calculation of an optimal shaft alignment
- Verification of designed alignment during and after the newbuilding, or conversion process, and on-site assistance
- Shaft dynamics, and propeller load analyses
Rely on DNV for all your shaft alignment matters:
- Avoid delays in delivery, thereby reducing costly off-hire
- Profit from effective investigation of problems, which shortens repair time