This course gives you the opportunity to get deeper into the topic of shipping finance. After the course, you will be able to assess a shipping investment through cash flow analysis, create a Loan Proposal for this investment and discuss in detail the Term Sheet and major clauses of the Loan Agreement.
Who should attend:
Duration: 1 day
Liner Shipping is a capital-intensive industry. In today's constantly shifting economic climate, ship finance is one of the most affected areas. Charter markets are struggling and the international banking sector has been heavily affected by the credit crunch and stricter regulatory controls, triggered by the collapse of Lehman Brothers. Now, more than ever, we need to understand and "think out of the box".
This course will examine the financing issues of a shipping investment and how these are addressed by bank financing and alternative financing schemes.
The course focuses on:
- General principles of shipping finance and the impact of economic variables
- Objectives of borrowers and lenders, risk analysis, securities and cashflows
- Various financing schemes available (bank debt, private equity, capital markets)
- Components of a shipping investment appraisal
- Cost of a capital and the capital structure of the company (debt/equity mix)
- How to handle a non-performing shipping loan (borrower's and lender's perspective)
This module will be delivered by Katerina Stathopoulou, Executive Director, Investments & Finance Ltd.