A relatively large number of cables are buried underground. This means many people will be involved with (underground) power cables professionally, and that associated knowledge is a key requirement. This basic course, Power Cables in General, covers all the relevant aspects relating to power cables – not always down to a detailed level (specialized courses are available for this purpose), but especially in a related context. This means the course provides a good overview of all the elements that are of interest, as well as the options available for approaching or solving certain problems. The textbook will also be a useful reference tool.
This course is part of a series of five on underground power cables. Supplementary to this general course, four in-depth multi-day courses have been developed, providing more detailed information on the following topics:
- Ageing, quality assurance, testing, diagnostics and failures of power cables
- Asset management, maintenance and remaining life of power cables
- Design parameters
- Materials & types of cable
- Cable manufacture
- Cable joints and terminations
- Cable installation
- Testing cables during the production and operation phases
- Field testing for commissioning and service aged cables
- Failure investigation
- Fault location
A visit to the KEMA labs can be part of the program during the classroom training.
Anyone involved (or to be involved) with power cables in the course of their daily work. It is recommended that the participants hold at least a Bachelor of Engineering degree.
Next to underground power cable courses, DNV also offers three courses in the field of HVDC and submarine power cables:
- HVDC power cables (three days)
- Submarine power cables (three days)
- HVDC submarine power cables (five days)
The Power cables in general course is also available in Dutch. Please click here for more information.
On request, Energy Academy can also provide an in-company training course in English or Dutch (content, location and duration of the course can be adapted to the client’s wishes). Please contact us for more information.