Provision of internationally recognised training for qualification as Company Security Officer (CSO), in accordance with the standard of competence as outlined in the Guidelines on Training and Certification for Company Security Officers issued as Annex of MSC/Circ.1154 and the IMO Model Course 3.20.
General shipping knowledge
Who should attend:
Duration: 3 days
The course provides participants with the knowledge, understanding and proficiencies as required by the ISPS Code to undertake the tasks, duties and responsibilities as Company Security Officer (CSO). Practical case studies, exercises and videos are used to illustrate possible measures to comply with the maritime security requirements as laid down in the ISPS Code. Achievement of competencies is assessed by means of a final test.
Note: This training course is accepted by many flag states but the British Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) requires a longer course. For MCA approved CSO or SSO training, please contact your local Maritime Academy office.
The same training for SSO is possible in certain locations. Please check with your local Maritime Academy office.
The course focuses on:
- Development, implementation, maintenance and supervision of Ship Security Plans
- Identification of threats and vulnerabilities and assessment of security risks
- Methods for Inspection and Monitoring of security measures on board ships
- Operation, testing and calibration of security equipment and systems
- Enhancing security awareness and vigilance of company staff (ship and shore)