Safe and efficient operation in cold climate
Understand the risk and design specifications for low temperatures, sea ice and winterization measures for maritime operations.
Operating in cold or polar waters can involve extreme weather and temperatures having implications on crew safety and asset protection, equipment and material requirements. Specialized knowledge, robust technology, and a holistic approach are needed.
DNV has the necessary multidisciplinary domain knowledge to assist in facing all challenges related to maritime operations in cold climates.
Due to the high risk associated with Arctic shipping, combined with the severe consequences of an incident or breakdown, regulations have become stricter and more specific. Our experts can guide you through them.
Rely on our assistance for Arctic operations:
- Polar Code advisory to ensure your vessel complies with regulations for polar waters
- Winterization to face the risks associated with icing, freezing, snow, and wind chill
- Ice Class for conversions, and gap analyses
- Intact stability analysis considering freezing sea spray, icing and snow
- Navigation in sea ice taking into account ice conditions and POLARIS
- Risk analysis covering HAZID, and gap analyses towards relevant regulations
- Ice loads on the hull, propeller and machinery
- Technology qualification for new technology in cold-climate operation
- Safety culture related to human performance and behaviour in cold conditions
Benefit from the knowledge of DNV to ensure safe operations and productivity in cold climates and polar waters:
- Equipment and technology suited for cold, Arctic or Antarctic operation
- Practical recommendations based on real-life experiences and know-how
- High-quality training and awareness workshops for crew
- Input on newbuilding specifications for ships or MOUs
- Measures for winterization to reduce risk from low temperature and icing