Process safety management
An effective process safety management system can not only help you avoid incidents; it is key to ensuring efficient, reliable and robust operations
Process safety management addresses the safety measures required to prevent accidental release of hazardous material from its containment, like a vessel, tank, piping or pipeline. Process safety management (PSM) refers to the integrated management of interrelated activities required to manage process safety risks.
- How do you know that your PSM system is functioning? You may be facing reoccurring leaks of flammable or toxic material that are not only hazardous but can also jeopardize the continued operations of your asset.
- How do you prevent these incidents? If your facility is ageing you may experience an increasing number of integrity and reliability issues.
- Could the safety culture in your company be improved, or more focused on addressing occupational safety?
- Are changes to your facility well managed so they don’t introduce new hazards?
- Are you actively monitoring and measuring how well you are managing process safety?
An effective PSM system can not only help you avoid incidents; it is key to ensuring efficient, reliable and robust operations.
How DNV can helpDNV can evaluate your current process safety system, procedures and practices against industry best practices.
Whether you are at the stage of developing a PSM system or looking to tweak it to reflect industry best-practices, DNV can address your specific challenges. This could encompass the entire system, or individual elements like:
- Management of Change (MOC)
- Hazard Identification and Risk Assessment (HIRA)
- Operational readiness assessment (PSSR)
- Asset integrity and reliability
- Incident investigation
- The development of Process Safety Performance Indicators (PSPIs).
What we offerAssess and benchmark your system, procedures and practices against industry best practices
- Utilise our world-renowned International Sustainability Rating System (ISRS) to assess, measure and benchmark your current PSM system, procedures and practices against industry best practices and the frameworks of the Center for Chemical and Process Safety (CCPS) Risk Based Process Safety (RBPS) and Energy Institute (EI).
- Identify your hazards and assess the associated risks through specific HIRA studies like HAZID and HAZOP reviews, QRA, SIL assessments, and LOPA
- Predict, assess, and quantify human errors in relation to safety critical tasks through Human Reliability Analysis (HRA) studies
- Integrate HRA within your risk studies (HAZOP, LOPA, SIL assessment) through a specific HRA-HAZOP/LOPA integrated approach to improve the credibility of your risk analysis
- Understand and manage your process safety barriers through barrier and bowtie analysis and scenario-based auditing
- Develop key asset registers, e.g. HSE risk register, register of critical spare parts, register of safety critical elements and their performance standards.
- Survey and evaluate your process safety culture – at various organisational levels – through dedicated tools (HOT, Safety Will)
- Provide training related to PSM on different PSM elements and topics, for different levels in the organisation. We offer cutting-edge virtual workshops and training sessions, tailored to your specific needs
- Operate cloud recording and follow-up PSM system incidents, audits, assessments and improvement suggestions with Synergi Life.
- Review, develop or improve your asset integrity management strategy
- Conduct risk-based reviews to identify critical operational components e.g. through RCM, FMECA and RBI
- Provide digital solutions tailored to your asset with Synergi Plant, e.g. for refineries, atmospheric storage tanks and power plants
- Provide performance forecasting and reliability engineering with world-class tools like TARO/ MAROS.
- Record HSE incidents with Synergi Life, a user-friendly system that can be used throughout your organisation
- Conduct root cause analysis
- Provide barrier-based incident investigation and follow-up (BSCAT).
- Develop stakeholder health, safety and environmental studies, including safety cases and reports.