Machinery measurements service
Craig A. Koehne
Business Development Manager
Explore our advisory services networkGo to network
Advanced machinery measurements for design verification and troubleshooting, as well as advice on the best solutions.
For shipowners and yards, verifying machinery and systems performance or quality to specification can be demanding. Lengthy or repeated troubleshooting and damage investigation processes lead to costs and downtime.
Our strength lies in bringing experienced engineers capable of performing measurements and analysis directly to your facility – backed by a global network of expertise. Together, they solve challenges related, but not limited to, required ship speed, power, fuel consumption, machinery vibration dynamics and the control system’s stability.
Using a holistic approach, the measurements are put into a relevant context to identify the response of a component or a system, as well as to determine calibrations of calculation models.
The measurement techniques we apply are, among others:
- Telemetry systems for shaft torque, power and torsional vibrations
- Ship speed and manoeuvring characteristics by DGPS systems
- Machinery and structural vibrations by means of accelerometers
- Load cell and LVDT measurements to verify bearing loads
- Laser measurements and strain gauge systems to verify shaft alignment
- Proximity probes for static and dynamic shaft deflections
- Ultrasonic flowmetering for external non-invasive flow measurement
- Equipment to determine electrical power fluctuations and control-related issues
We also process and analyse the measured data in order to advise you on design solutions, troubleshooting or damage investigations.
Our measurements service add value for both newbuildings and retrofits:
- Reduction of cost through accurate results and measurements
- Full-service package: on-site measurements such as sea trials, component and system analysis
- Multidisciplinary expert troubleshooting
- Reliable recommendations
- Streamlined processes ensuring minimal downtime
- Alignment, energy flow and dynamic vibrations to optimize energy efficiency and reliability or to detect, diagnose and avoid failures
- Measurements for verification of compliance