ECO Retrofit – vessel efficiency upgrades
Our ECO Retrofit solution helps you identify, prioritize and implement the best retrofit measures, tailored to your operation.
Retrofit options are numerous and well-informed decisions require a good understanding of your ship design and its anticipated operation. In a stepwise approach DNVGL experts guide you from the first cost benefit assessment to the final design. Retrofit options with the best return on investment encompass:
- Bulbous bow
- Energy-saving devices (ESDs) and appendages
Not sure if ECO Retrofit is an option for your vessel(s)? We can provide a quick check based on:
Each design is tailormade
We utilize a formal optimization approach featuring fully parametric models, both for the propeller and the bulbous bow. While optimizing for best performance on the agreed operational profile (speed-draft-cases), boundary conditions such as hardpoints at the bow or cavitation criteria at the propeller are considered. A typical optimization involves more than 5,000 design variants analyzed on 6 operational cases.
A virtual sea trial is included
Optimization results are validated by DNVGL’s Ship Performance Simulator (SPS). Full-scale RANSE CFD propulsion simulations utilizing a standardized and validated power assessment provide an accurate saving figure. A comprehensive online report with 3D flow visualization show where the savings are.
Discover the advantages of retrofitting with support from DNV:
- Fast assessment of the retrofit measures that benefit you the most
- Clear overview of expected fuel savings from the measures, effective for your individual operational needs
- Guidance and expert support related to tank tests, sub-suppliers, shipyard works, sea trials and more
- Investment safety, with a higher competitive advantage on the market
- As your independent partner, we only have your business needs in mind