Our subsea experts are and have been leading a number of industry initiatives in order to develop greater industry standardization in subsea system management. These include:
- DNV’s certification scheme for subsea equipment and manufacturing components (DNVGL-SE-0045)
- Standardized subsea documentation (joint industry project), leading to DNVGL-RP-O101 Technical documentation for subsea projects
- Steel forgings for subsea application (joint industry project) (DNVGL-RP-0034 Steel forgings for subsea application)
- Offshore leak detection (joint industry project) leading to an update of DNV-RP-302 Selection and use of subsea leak detection systems (DNVGL-RP-F302 Offshore leak detection)
- Design of duplex stainless steel subsea equipment exposed to cathodic protection (joint industry project) leading to an update of DNVGL-RP-F112
- Integrity management of subsea production systems (recommended practice DNVGL-RP-0002).
Flexible risersAble to withstand both vertical and horizontal movement, flexible risers are a key enabling technology for floating production units, such as FPSOs and semisubmersibles, particularly in harsh environments. However, there remain certain challenges in their operation. DNV has been working in close collaboration with key industry players to better understand the complex nature of flexible pipes, and to establish measures to overcome the challenges. Our in-depth knowledge covers such areas as:
- Carcass capacity
- Polymer viscoelastic behaviour
- Leak rate
- Sand erosion
- Singing risers
- Composite armour.
Floating structuresThe specifics of floating structures directly influence risers, umbilicals and cables connected to a floating unit. In many cases, the floating unit dictates the type and configuration of risers and umbilicals for a field development. We advise on all types of offshore floating units, and have issued a number of standards and recommended practices dealing with different floating concepts. This knowledge, combined with our ability to accurately model their behaviour in their projected environment, enables us to provide customers with valuable insight when it comes to planning, risk management and performance in any floating production or storage project.
Drilling and wellWe offer a number of services to assist customers in the development of drilling and well systems. These include:
- Wellhead fatigue and drilling risers for jack-ups and floating rigs
- Workover, intervention and well control systems
- Well verification.