Lyse Elnett: the local grid operator to Stavanger, Sandnes, Sola, Randaberg, Finnøy, Rennesøy, Strand, Time, Gjesdal, Hjelmeland and Kvitsøy municipalities.
Smart metering deployment projects globally come with a set of complex challenges with imminent risks involved. Utilities have to deal with new technology, governance requirements are strict and it is an enormous effort with reference to logistics in addition that ICT integrations will take place in between a high number of specialized systems. DNV supports customers in managing those projects, and to be successful in realizing the benefits.
Updated government regulations in Norway require that all grid operators install smart metering by 2019. Lyse Elnett, with more than 140,000 customers in Norway, were looking to be front runners in this, ensuring better operations and creating value for their customers. However, in terms of size, content and complexity, the scale of the project is larger than anything they have taken on previously.
Lyse approached DNV to support with:
- External quality assurance
- Proactive identification of risks and improvement areas
- Reviewing and evaluating plans, decision support and policy documents
- Project review before pilot launch
- Facilitation, risk management and initial assessment of the project’s risk profile
- Access to DNV’s expertise in areas such as smart grid technology, testing, security, project management and corporate governance.
- Kick-off meeting: all relevant stakeholders meet to agree upon scope, focus and approach
- Document review: building a solid basis to gain in-depth understanding of the project
- Interviews: As agreed with the customer, relevant project members and stakeholders are interviewed to verify and explore findings from project documentation. All findings from the document review and interviews are then analysed according to a proven and documented process
- Analysis: covering both qualitative and quantitative measures, as agreed with the customer
- Report: This last step is partly iterative, as we include a verification of facts before releasing the final report
Benefit to our customer
DNV’s quality assurance services provide an independent review of a project’s potential areas for improvement. We identified the improvement areas and helped to prioritize them so that management can, as early as possible, focus on the most important areas that can hinder target fulfilment. Our quality assurance services increased the likelihood of a successful project within time, cost and quality/performance. Further, we provided guidance on realistic budgeting and planning.