Remote sensing for wind energy
Independent LiDAR and sodar expertise and turnkey services in on- and offshore wind for all your remote sensing needs, from resource assessments to power curve measurements and performance monitoring.
By measuring wind conditions across and above the turbine rotor, remote sensing technologies can play a key role in cutting the cost of wind energy. They help:
- Wind farm developers carry out wind resource assessments and achieve significant savings compared to classical anemometry using met towers
- Turbine manufacturers to assess turbine power output in response to wind conditions more precisely and hence bring new products to market
- Wind farm operators monitor performance more effectively.
Turnkey services for LiDAR
To help you get the most out of remote sensing, we offer a dynamic and completely independent range of turnkey services – validating and deploying the equipment, conducting the measurements and providing you with the data. We have extensive experience in: ground based LiDAR , floating LiDAR (FLiDAR), Scanning LiDAR and Nacelle mounted LiDAR systems operations onshore, as well as offshore and can support you in all aspects of remote sensing. This includes:
- Assessing new remote sensing technologies
- Choosing the right remote sensing solution for your needs
- Validating your unit before field deployment at one of our test sites adjacent to an IEC compliant reference met mast
- Siting, deploying, commissioning, operating, and decommissioning yours or DNV’s LiDAR systems. Our services also cover site safety, autonomous power supply and remote communication for the system during the campaign
- Data collection and analysis for formal energy and site assessments through Resource Panorama
- Ground- and nacelle-based turbine performance testing, e.g. for turbine power curve measurement and verifications
- Modelling flow conditions in complex terrain to obtain CFD derived correction factors hence reducing uncertainties when using LiDARs in such conditions.
We don't produce LiDAR solutions ourselves – so we aren't tied to any particular technology. That means you can be sure our advice and recommendations are completely impartial and independent: we focus on your needs.
As part of the large DNV family, we have built up extensive expertise in all kinds of LiDAR. We've been an active player in developing guidelines and standards for both testing and using remote sensing technology and pioneered its use offshore. By working with us, you have full access to all this insight to help you make the right remote sensing choices, whether you are measuring wind farm performance, introducing new wind turbines or developing novel remote sensing solutions.