Offshore wind structures
Achieve robust, cost-optimized substructure designs for offshore wind developments.
Designing structures for offshore wind farm developments presents unique challenges compared to similar projects on land. In new and developing markets, developers and engineering contractors are looking to learn from established markets, while dealing with their own challenges – such as China’s deep soft soils or the need to build structures capable of handling typhoons or hurricanes. And, as the industry moves towards a zero-subsidy world, there is increased pressure on costs, even as increasing turbine sizes bring new structural challenges.
From early stage planning through to design and construction, stakeholders require independent support to review designs from technical, cost, and due diligence perspectives.
Offshore design support from planning to construction
At DNV, we supply expertise, independent analysis and experience through all development phases. Our support can follow your structure all the way through to engineering work during the construction phase. With our extensive knowledge, including geotechnical expertise, and in-house tools for cost optimization, we can verify your designs and help to optimize LCOE.
- Design Basis and Design Brief development
- Design Assessments and Design Support, using in-house tools: Turbine.Architect, Bladed, Sesam
- Feasibility studies and concept selection, including cost-optimal foundation options
- Geotechnical analysis, review and support, including Site Assessment
- Feasibility, Pre-FEED & FEED studies
- Developing ITT documentation and specifications
- Owners Engineer: negotiating and managing foundation contracts, performing design risk assessments
- Parallel design and design checks in support of Design Verification/Review
- Troubleshooting, advising customers on technical issues
- Post-construction re-analysis, e.g. fatigue assessments, drivability back-analysis
- Fabrication, technical specifications, process/welding procedure/method statement review, inspections
- Installation process/method statement review, pile drivability, installation concept studies
- Design Institute Capability Building and Training Courses
- Detailed Design Support and Work Packages
- Life Extension, Load Analysis
Key deliverables include reports or concept design drawings, depending on the scope of work undertaken.
Highly experienced offshore wind farm team
DNV has been active in the offshore wind market since 1997. Our highly-experienced team has been providing support to customers since 2006 and are involved in over 6 GW of offshore wind projects. They can implement a range of tools, such as our Turbine.Architect Levelised Cost of Energy LCoE tool. Turbine.Architect provides a rapid and effective means to ensure sub-structures, including monopiles, jackets and gravity base structures, are well optimized.