The Lāwa’i Solar and Energy Storage Project is the largest project to date in Hawaii.
Renewable energy + storage is at the forefront of energy transition to a safer, smarter and greener energy future.
Our team has provided independent technical services for more than 50 solar + storage projects throughout North America. One notable project we worked on this year was the technical and financial due diligence for AES Distributed Energy (AES DE), a subsidiary of AES Corporation, on their Lāwa’i Solar and Energy Storage Project.
The Lāwa’i Solar and Energy Storage Project is a 28 MWdc solar PV project with a 100 MWh five-hour duration battery energy storage system in Kauai, Hawaii. It is the largest project to date in Hawaii. The power purchase agreement, priced lower than the cost of diesel generation, is successful demonstration of how to achieve grid decarbonization.
For this project, our team vetted the technology and financial aspects, providing services to project lenders and tax equity investors that included:
- Review of the battery technology, performance, and degradation
- Control systems integration and dispatch strategy
- Solar plant technology and design
- Civil and electrical design
- Project schedule and capital costs, commissioning processes
- Safety and environmental permitting compliance
- Site inspections and performance verification
We were proud to sponsor the Solar & Storage Finance USA conference last week in New York, NY. There we enabled conversations about decreasing the cost of financing solar + storage projects. To learn more, please feel free to reach out to Marion Hill, Senior Vice President of Renewables Advisory.