Accessories (joints and terminations) are highly vulnerable elements in the cable network and are consequently often the cause of system failures. Most of these system failures are related to installation issues, as you can see in the picture below.
The main reasons for accessory failures are:
- Accessories are hand made by jointers under sometimes unfavourable circumstances
- The joint is a discontinuity in the cable circuit with critical electrical/thermal/mechanical and even environmental stresses at the interface between joint and cable
- The accessories are not always properly tested, so errors will not be found before operation.
This course is also available in Dutch. Please click here for more information.
On request, Energy Academy can also provide an in-company training course in English or Dutch (content, location and duration of the course can be adapted to the client’s wishes). Please contact us for more information.
- Construction of accessories, both for MV and HV applications
- Explanation of the function of various construction elements and why they are critical
- Causes of failures
- How to reduce failures
- New developments
After the course, you will have more background knowledge on power cable accessories, and a better understanding of the causes of failures and how to reduce them. This will help you improve accessory quality, thus contributing to a more reliable product and thus network.
During and after the class, you will also be able to share experiences with other jointers and discuss new developments. If desired, DNV can also guide you towards certification.
This course is designed for jointers and anyone involved (now or in the future) in installing of power cable accessories.
Other cable-related courses
Besides this Power cable accessories training course, DNV also offers a range of other courses relating to power cables: