Virtual hull condition monitoring
New technological developments enable real-time structural condition monitoring of ship hulls and data-driven decision-making
Continuous pressure to reduce maintenance and operational costs is making a systematic approach to hull integrity management essential.
With DNV, ships can be evaluated, inspected and maintained at the right time and location according to their actual hull condition.
DNV has developed technology and solutions that address ship-specific structural monitoring in real-time. Our Nerves of Steel technology enables a cost-effective and continuous position-based estimation of hull structure utilization (e.g. strength and fatigue). It is based on the actual weather condition for any individual ship or trade combined with digital twins or other models.
This ensures an always up-to-date assessment of the accumulated health condition of the hull, presented through a customized dashboard or report. Having detailed insight and knowledge about the hull condition simplifies the decision-making processes for a range of scenarios and needs.
Virtual hull condition monitoring from DNV can benefit ship owners and other stakeholders by providing:
- Improved planning of inspections and dry-dockings
- Reduced likelihood of unintended off-hire
- Improved decision-making with respect to life cycle management, e.g. for selection of candidate ships for lifetime extension, conversion, scrapping
- Stronger documentation towards charterers or other stakeholders
- Efficient weather and wave environment evaluation in case of hull damage investigations
- Support to evaluate the consequence of operating in a new location or trade
- Enhanced sales and purchase due diligence
- Assessment of weather dependency of operations
- Input to specification for new ship orders