NERC FAC 008-3 compliance software - Cascade Facility Ratings
NERC FAC 008-3 compliance software with fully integrated electric facility ratings management
What is NERC FAC 008-3?
North America transmission and generator owners, as owners with bulk electric system (BES) equipment, must comply with NERC FAC 008-3 facility ratings regulations published by NERC (North American Electric Reliability Corporation). They are required under NERC FAC 008-3 to maintain a compliant Facility Rating Methodology. A facility rating is needed to determine system operating limits in the bulk electric system. There must be a record of most limiting series elements for each BES facility in the system. Regulatory compliance requires technically sound principles and defensible methodologies for planning and operation. Compliance also requires that there is an auditable historic record of all system changes that affect ratings.
NERC compliance software - how Cascade Facility Ratings works
Cascade Facility Ratings is the industry’s first fully integrated facility ratings management solution, providing a single source of truth for facility ratings information. The purpose-built solution ensures a consistent technical process, minimizing data loss and improving the accessibility of NERC FAC-008-3 compliance information between engineering, planning and operations. Cascade Facility Ratings is a fully integrated, technically accurate and secure system that covers all aspects of calculating, approving and reporting of the facilities across your network. It includes a robust reporting system specialized for facility ratings, enabling you to manage and maintain NERC FAC-008-3 compliance.
Cascade Facility Ratings allows users to consistently apply and create rating methodologies with ease. Changes to the system are recorded with the option to attach supporting documentation at each stage of a change process.
Cascade Facility Ratings is the first commercially available electric grid software program to apply a consistent approach to rating all equipment on the line. The software addresses facility rating challenges, such as the organization of data, reporting of data, evergreening of data, coordination with operations and information system management.
It performs thermal rating calculations to accommodate different climate conditions, supporting a reliable grid and NERC compliance requirements. Cascade Facility Ratings allows for the use of industry standard (IEEE) algorithms for rating conductors, transformers and other equipment.
The software solution works as a standalone application or as a module to Cascade software from DNV. It can also be fully integrated with existing business IT systems and provides a platform for data export to PSS®E, CYME, EMS systems, as well as distribution analysis software such as Synergi Electric.
Ongoing support and facilities rating management best practices expertise are available through our experienced implementation and advisory service teams.
Key benefits of Cascade Facility Ratings software
- Helps ensure you have accurate, up-to-date facilities rating information easily available in one source of thruth
- Reduces time and stress required for data management and compliance reporting for reliability standards, such as NERC FAC 008-3 and PRC-023
- Supports the use of consistent and technically accurate ratings methodology across the utility
- Offers configurability to design and apply methodologies specific to a utility's needs
- Helps you determine the specific piece of equipment that most limits throughput along a particular line (most limiting series element)
- Ensures all stakeholders have easy access to the most recent approved or historical ratings
- Creates reports to satisfy auditor requests
- Frees up key technical staff and subject matter experts (SMEs ) to focus on system reliability, planning, and operations
- Provides a complete audit trail and history of facility ratings and maintenance for the line, facility and element
- Has configurable security settings to ensure necessary access and edit controls across teams
- Includes detailed user instructions and DNV training and support
- Enables plans for future construction or upgrades to the system