BRCGS Global Standard for Storage & Distribution and IFS Logistics
Take control and improve quality of logistics and consistently meet customer expectations of product safety and legal compliance while reducing costs of food supply chain management.
The unique aspects of food and beverage product logistics are addressed in standards intended to fulfill the "due diligence" concept and apply to any player in the food and beverage supply chain.
Certification demonstrates your commitment to the safety, quality and operational criteria required to fulfil obligations with regard to legal compliance and protection of the consumer either in a retail or catering operation.
What are the standards
The BRCGS (Brand Reputation through Compliance) global standard for storage and distribution and the IFS Logistics standard are safety and operational management system standards, applicable to food and non-food products.
They are created to ensure supplier compliance, taking into consideration the warehousing, transportation and distribution steps, as well as wholesales and other logistic services (adding IFS Broker in case of IFS certification), to secure the customers’ abilities to guarantee the quality and safety of the products that they use and/or sell.
Certification comprises assessment of a company’s premises, operational systems and procedures against the requirements of the standards.
The standards support users in their fulfillment of legal obligations and protection of the consumer by:
- Providing a common basis for evaluating companies involved in storage and distribution of products.
- Enabling accredited certification of companies supplying products and services to retailer and allied industries.
Benefits of becoming certified
Certification to BRCGS global standard for storage & distribution and IFS Logistics by an independent third-party is a requirement of most retailers and brand owners, as well as food processors. As a result of certification your organization can:
- Provide evidence of commitment and, in case of food safety incident, legal defense in the frame of the "due diligence" concept.
- Build and operate a management system capable of better meeting food quality/safety requirements and legal compliance.
- Provide a tool for food safety performance improvement by monitoring and measuring food safety performance effectively.
- Facilitate effective product recall.
To be certified, you first need to implement the required procedures into a system complying with the standard’s requirements. DNV is an accredited third-party certification body and can help you throughout the journey starting from relevant BRCGS and IFS training to self-assessments, gap analysis and certification services.
Learn more about how to get started on the road to certification.