Alternative Fuels Insight
The Alternative Fuels Insight (AFI) platform provides the shipping industry with an open platform for evaluating the uptake of alternative fuels and technologies.
By providing freely accessible tools for visualizing and analysing comprehensive and high-quality data, supplemented by an extensive collection of technical resources, AFI helps shipowners and other stakeholders to monitor the global uptake of alternative fuels and assess the best options for their own vessels.
The decision of the International Maritime Organization (IMO) to ambitiously halve greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions by 2050 means that the world’s future fleet will have to rely on a broader range of fuels and adopt novel propulsion solutions and energy efficiency measures.
All alternative fuel options are accompanied by benefits and challenges. Prerequisites for introducing a new fuel include the availability of sufficient production and distribution facilities as well as an adequate bunkering infrastructure. In addition, new fuels in many cases require extensive on-board modifications, which lead to increased complexity and cost.
DNV developed the Alternative Fuels Insight (AFI) platform to support the shipping industry’s transition to a cleaner, greener future. It provides a complete overview of developments regarding alternative fuels and technologies, covering both investments on ships, in bunkering infrastructure and fuel production facilities.
A core aim is to improve clarity for a range of stakeholders, allowing them to make informed decisions. It will assist shipowners in selecting a fuel for the vessels they order today and in coming years, and fuel suppliers weighing up investments in new bunkering infrastructure. Maritime authorities will benefit from increased transparency, while equipment suppliers can gather intelligence for product development strategies.
Because the alternative fuel landscape is continually evolving, AFI is not a static platform. To encourage industry collaboration, and to ensure the information presented on AFI is up to the minute, users can submit updates on the status of existing bunkering and fuel production projects for alternative fuels or share details of new ones.
- Technical benchmarking on alternative fuels like ammonia, hydrogen, methanol, LNG and LPG
- Additional filtering features on ship size, type and contractual dates
- Detailed statistics covering fuel production facilities for bio-based fuels, e-fuels and blue fuels
- New filters and insights added, such as shipyard, AIS data and tank capacities
- Brand new map view
Freely accessible, high-quality data
- Shore power and bunkering infrastructure for ammonia, hydrogen methanol and LNG
- Vessel uptake of ammonia, hydrogen, methanol, LNG, LPG, batteries, fuel cell and scrubbers
- Fuel production facilities for ammonia, biofuel and methanol
- Fuel price development, with weekly updates
- Flexible visualizations based on quality-assured data
- Technical insights for making informed decisions
- A high-level of alternative fuel project feasibility, and a financial benchmarking for fuel prices comparing various regions
Accelerating market uptake
- Free access to reliable, up-to-date data on the uptake of alternative fuels and technologies, and fuel prices
- Improved information base for making better decisions and developing an adoption roadmap