DNV has published Turmoil and Transformation: The outlook for the oil and gas industry in 2021. This research is based on a survey of more than 1,010 senior oil and gas professionals and in-depth interviews with industry executives.
As with the global nature of the oil and gas industry, the story for 2021 connects all regions. Yet, our survey also offers regional insights. We are pleased to provide a special edition report with survey data from 86 senior oil and gas professionals based in the Middle East and North Africa, with comparisons to the global picture and to our data from previous years.
Key insights from the special edition report:
- Confidence for industry growth has fallen sharply but remains higher than the global number.
- Like respondents from other regions, the global economy and the oil price are the top barriers to growth, but competitive pressure appears to be a more significant issue in the region.
- Respondents in the region are more likely than the global sample to say their organization will be increasing investment in oil projects/portfolios in 2021, and significantly less likely to be investing in renewables or green/decarbonized gas projects/portfolios.
- A larger proportion of respondents in the region say their organization is more focused on the short- than long-term, compared to both 2020 and the global sample in 2021.
- There is has been a significant jump in those respondents in the region reporting that they will be increasingly focused on opportunities outside of oil and gas.
- Nine in 10 respondents from Middle East and North Africa believe cost cutting will be more challenging than ever in the year ahead, even higher than the global average.
- More respondents in the region are expecting headcount numbers to be cut in 2021, compared to the global sample.