DNV recently published Turmoil and Transformation: The outlook for the oil and gas industry in 2021. This research is based on a survey of more than 1,010 senior oil and gas professionals and in-depth interviews with industry executives.
As with the global nature of the oil and gas industry, the story for 2021 connects all regions. Yet, our survey also offers regional insights. We are pleased to provide this special edition report with survey data from 105 senior oil and gas professionals based in the East Mediterranean, with comparisons to the global picture and to our data from previous years.
Key insights from DNV’s Oil & Gas Industry Outlook for the East Mediterranean:
- Industry confidence has fallen dramatically among East Mediterranean respondents.
- The global economy and the oil price are the top barriers to growth for respondents in the region, with the global economy being significantly higher than the global average.
- A significantly higher proportion of East Mediterranean respondents expect their organization to increase investment in green/decarbonized gas projects/portfolio in 2021, compared to the global average.
- A much higher proportion of global respondents expect there to be increased consolidation within the oil and gas industry in 2021, when compared to East Mediterranean respondents.
- Hydrogen is expected to be a significant part of the energy mix by nearly eight-in-ten in the region, significantly higher than the global average. The proportion that say their organization is actively entering the hydrogen market is also higher than the global sample.
- Most East Mediterranean respondents believe that the industry needs to develop new operating models to achieve further cost efficiencies, while three-quarters think cost cutting will be more challenging than ever in 2021.
- Digitalization is high on the agenda for all respondents, but this seems especially so for East Mediterranean respondents with nearly three-quarters expecting to increase investment in digitalization in 2021.
Please contact us for further analysis on the outlook for the East Mediterranean.