The Leading Class Society for Gas Carriers
Gas carriers are ships intended for transportation of compressed or liquefied gas. DNV classification services focus on safety of the ship, cargo and crew, combined with efficient operations.
- We are a leading class society for building and operation of gas carriers, with a global network of skilled surveyors and customer service managers.
- We have been pioneers in the development of design standards and technology for gas carriers, and our state-of-the-art rules are based on experience gained from such vessels since the early 1960s.
- Our experienced staff can provide practical training in design issues, interpretation of new rules and regulations, and inspection and maintenance issues.
- We have the expertise and understand challenges associated with cold climates ship operations.
- We invest heavily in R&D, and in our publications we document the results of these R&D efforts, helping you to stay on top of current technologies and trends influencing the gas carrier business.
- We have implemented a simple and efficient procedure for entries into DNV class.
In the forefront of technology for gas carriers for many years, we have accumulated unique experience and knowledge about risk management for gas carriers, and currently the following selected topics are high on our agenda to maintain this lead:
DNV was the first classification society to publish rules for liquefied gas carriers and their cargo containment systems. Today, more than 20% of the world fleet of LNG carries and more than 28% of the world LPG fleet are classified with DNV.
DNV has recently also developed the first rules for building and classification of ships carrying compressed natural gas (CNG).